The world of digital currencies is upon us…
New types of private money have exploded on the scene in recent years – from cryptocurrencies to stablecoins and beyond – but national and global institutions are responding fast. Over 110 countries around the world are now exploring digital currencies, according to the Atlantic Council, with China expanding its pilot to 250+ million people in 2023. A quarter of central banks expect to introduce a CBDC within the next 1-2 years according to a recent survey by the OMFIF Digital Monetary Institute.
Firms need to act quickly to make sure they’re ready to navigate a world abundant with currencies of all forms and flavours. Yet many questions remain:
- Can digital currencies deliver real-world benefits such as increase financial inclusion?
- How important will it be for business and consumers to have continued access to central bank money?
- How will the industry ensure global interoperability between digital currencies, and with existing payment systems, without impacting commercial banking i.e. credit supply?
- How should CBDC’s be designed to maximise ease of use, acceptance at the point of sale and transferability across multiple payment platforms?
- Will money really be programmable?
- What financial/operational challenges need to be overcome when transacting with digital currencies? (e.g. FX/Liquidity)
- What solutions are available? And what progress has been made?
- How might future technological innovations affect design and policy choices related to CBDCs?
Join us as we bring together global players, thought leaders and industry practitioners to explore the new reality of digital currencies.